[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 10:42:05 UTC 2012

Hi Ryan,

I reckon if everyone here gave you loads of details you might be
confused. And pics?!

You should have said whether you're on Mac, Windows or Linux for a
start. But basically you want MAMP, WAMP, LAMP, or XAMPP.

These tutorials might help:

http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2011/09/28/developing-wordpress-locally-with-mamp/
http://sixrevisions.com/tutorials/web-development-tutorials/using-xampp-for-local-wordpress-theme-development/
http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/wordpress-local-dev-tips/

As for editing code, again it depends on your platform. I recently
moved to a full IDE, which might be overwhelming if you're a beginner.
But if you're looking for an IDE, I can recommend
http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/

Good luck!

Steve