[wp-hackers] Disable/ Stop "auto-draft" posts

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 28 16:16:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM, wpmidia lab <wpmidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people!
>
> Is there a way to disable "auto-draft" posts?
>
> When I enter to post-new.php page, WordPress creates a post record in
> wp_posts table, with status "auto-draft". Even if the post is not saved, WP
> keeps the record created.
>
> I think it's bad....
>
> I really appreciate any comment about it...

Auto-drafts are automatically deleted after 7 days of going unused.
They're self-cleaning, basically. No need to worry about them.

They also go away when the first auto-save occurs while writing a new
post. So the only way they hang around is if you enter the post-new
screen, then leave it. The auto-draft will remain for up to 7 days,
then get deleted when you enter the post-new screen again.

A post has to exist for it to be edited, so the auto-draft fills the
hole between you entering post-new and the autosave occurring after
you enter the title of the post.

-Otto