[wp-hackers] Learning WordPress and Getting Support (Bryan Gentry)

Bryan Gentry bryangentry at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:24:20 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

The absolute best way to learn WordPress is to spend time with the
resources that have been mentioned here. It sounds like you have done some
of that, but still haven't found the particular answer you are looking for
regarding the URLs generated by the Flikr plugin.

I came to WordPress about two years ago after not programming for probably
10 to 12 years. I learned PHP through the process of learning WordPress. I
started by reading a basic tutorial about how to build a theme. Then I
started reading about more advanced topics such as custom meta boxes,
custom post types, plugins, etc. I spent a lot of time with tutorials,
poring over functions in the codex (whether I needed them at that moment or
not) and just trial and error. I think that is the best way to learn
besides taking a class or reading a book such as Digging Into Wordpress
(which my brother-in-law is reading and enjoying).

Of course, your need is pretty specific. Could you share links to the
StackExchange questions you have posted? Also, I saw one of your previous
questions on this list in which you said you followed a tutorial but
weren't getting the results you expected. It would be helpful if you would
show the code you used (perhaps in a StackExchange question) so others on
the list could look over it.

Bryan