[wp-hackers] Learning WordPress and Getting Support

Andrew Bartel andrew.bartel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:20:20 UTC 2012

Aero,

With the caveat that I'm only seven months into developing with WordPress,
I started with the database diagram (
http://codex.wordpress.org/Database_Description) in addition to following
the load code through starting at the root index.php.  I spent a lot of
time reading stack exchange and the WordPress forums.  If a question was
asked on either that I didn't know the answer to I'd work through it on our
dev server.  Mostly, I built a few WordPress sites and referred to
"official" good code like the starter themes whenever I was unsure of best
practices.  Now, when I run into a function that I haven't seen before, I
reference the codex.

This was the most useful post I ever came across, although it was pretty
over my head the first time I read it despite what I thought was a pretty
good understanding of ajax:
http://www.garyc40.com/2010/03/5-tips-for-using-ajax-in-wordpress/

I recently saw this really useful presentation by Andrew Nacin about
queries that was referenced in a discussion about query_posts():
http://wordpress.tv/2012/06/15/andrew-nacin-wp_query/

Best of luck.

-Andrew Bartel