[wp-hackers] Advice regarding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies

Mike Walsh mpwalsh8 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:29:29 UTC 2012

I appreciate all of the dialog on my problem, I've read through it all
several times this morning trying to understand the pros and cons of the
various points made.  A couple of comments:

I decided to implement players as their own CPT instead of an extension of
the user profile because of my experience using WordPress to manage a swim
team.  For the swim team plugin I've written (wp-swimteam), parents
register as users and then add their swimmers to the system.  It is a huge
challenge to get parents to use the WordPress Dashboard.  We may not think
twice about logging into it and performing any number of Dashboard actions
but based on my experience working with 500+ swim team families, a lot of
them simply don't understand or more frequently, are lazy and don't want to
be bothered with entering and maintaining their information although they
like to complain when it is wrong.  They want someone to do it for them.

Based on the 5-6 soccer teams we've been involved with over the years, I've
taken the approach with that a team manager is usually responsible for
maintaining the relevant data and making sure it is available to all
players and parents.

Using a CPT for the players I can certainly allow a parent to register as a
user and give them author rights to their player so they can maintain their
player's information but quite frankly, I am pretty sure I don't want to.
 Each player currently has a profile sheet for college recruiting purposes
(a few of the players are probably good enough to play in college but not
all of them but the club asks all players to have a profile sheet).  Think
of it as a resume of sorts.  Some of the parents have taken quite a bit of
creative license with accomplishments which all had to be edited back out
of the documents.  I don't think we'd want to hand over authorship rights
to a player's profile.  In theory it would be wonderful.  In practice I
can't imagine what sort of nonsense would get posted.

So I am back noodling on Ben's suggestion to also define the Roster as a
custom post type instead of a taxonomy like I've currently done.  I am
still not clear that it will help uniquely identify a team/player/roster
combination that I would like to maintain.

I am currently playing with Posts 2 Posts, does anyone have any experience
with CPT-onomies?   http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cpt-onomies/ It
looks similar but not exactly like Posts 2 Posts.

Mike Walsh - mpwalsh8 at gmail.com