[wp-hackers] Community conventions for custom post types?

Lionel Pointet lionel.pointet at globalis-ms.com
Fri Aug 3 16:50:46 UTC 2012

I think what you're looking for is a plugin that comes with its custom
post types: two different developpers will be able to make
interchangeable themes on top of that plugin. And even if the plugin's
not active, the theme won't necessarily break because it'll implement
templates like "single-restaurant.php" or so.
These are the conventions I know.

The fact that many themes come with their own implementation and logic
(restaurant themes as you pointed out for example, which create their
own post types and taxonomies) is in my opinion not the right way of
doing it. You should be able to change theme and keep the data available
in admin, but that's rarely true with those themes and it's too bad.

Lionel