[wp-hackers] Community conventions for custom post types?

onlyunusedname onlyunusedname at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 16:38:21 UTC 2012

One of the most compelling reasons for me to develop small to midsize CMSs
on WordPress is that WordPress has really emerged as the lingua franca of
this market segment.  When an existing WordPress user comes to me wanting
enhancements, upgrades, or redesigns (which happens increasingly) I *love*
how much I just magically know about their existing codebase without having
to do a bunch of discovery.

I was wondering if, towards this end, there had been any sort of community
effort to standardize custom post type and/or custom taxonomy nomenclature
for common CMS implementations?

For example, if developer A implements a custom post type with custom
taxonomies for menu items on a restaurant CMS, it would be great if
developer B could take for granted the conventions developer A was using.
And both developer A and developer B could make interchangeable restaurant
themes that worked perfectly right out of the box on each other's
restaurant sites.

Does there already exist somewhere a sort of community consensus around the
implementation of common custom post types that would encourage ease of
interoperability?  If so, I'd like to be following it.  If not, does it
seem like a potentially useful thing to others?

Just curious.