[wp-hackers] getting a pageview from the wp_links links

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Apr 12 04:48:12 UTC 2012

for future planning.. You'd be better off making a Custom Post Type
and storing the news articles in that instead, An extra 55k records is
not going to be a significant impact if stored as a CPT rather than a
post, the MySQL indexes will take care of separating it easily, you'll
also gain a lot more template functionality than you will with the
links table (As it's not designed to be queried, simply, displayed)

The future for the wp_links table is death IMO, It's not used by most
people, and is probably the one component in WordPress that I advocate
be removed and put into a plugin.
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18781

the Links table was introduced as a "Blogroll", back in the early days
of blogging as a "Here's a short list of my friends and my
relationship to them", not a "Here's thousands of links to external
sites that you can search through".