[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Andrew Gray andrew at graymerica.com
Sun Oct 30 20:10:44 UTC 2011

I have had this argument on this list many times and in person with WP
core people.   I was told to my face, that they would never remove the
URLs from the content.

Here are my opinions.

1.  Everyone who is against relative URLs is just being obstinate
because they have defended their position so many times.

2.  People who say you just download the DB and change it have never
worked with a major client or done any enterprise development with
WP.  Some of my clients DBs are over 4GB.  It is a ton of fun to
reupload that.   Change the url via SQL breaks all the serialized
arrays with urls in it.

3.  The development > staging > production and review process is on of
the reasons I have started using Code Ignighter for my bigger
projects.   I had too many middle of the night deployment issues with
for my clients that require zero downtime.

4. The processor cycle argument is silly.   CPU is so cheap today.

I love wordpress and thank everyone for being helpful on this list,
but I can not understand why we can't just have the code use the
SITE_URL and let it be stored in one place.    Make it a config
value.  If you do not want to use it, you can ignore

The objections are just so weak, I assume it is just pride at this
point.

Andrew