[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Sun Oct 30 17:18:57 UTC 2011

After a week vacation in Orlando avoiding everything Internet. This was a great email to read.

Yes, there are many plugins storing serialized domains. I may have done it without thinking myself. It is the biggest  stumbling block doing manual DB transfers.

Jess

On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:25 AM, "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:

> [...]
>    * On retrieval on dev|staging: Replace production url's with
> staging|dev depending on context
>    * On insert on production: Nothing.
>    * On retrieval on production: Nothing.
>   This leaves the extra processing to take place on non-live servers,
> somewhere where you can afford lower performance.
>
> But there's a 2nd option as well, Instead of altering url's like that,
> replace the urls on dev|staging|production:
> * On Insert: replace WP_SITEURL with [url] (a shortcode, remembering that
> the constant is dynamically set depending on the current context)
> * On retrieval: Do nothing (Well, in the admin, you might need to apply
> the shortcode manually for the editor..)
> * On Display: [url] shortcode is expanded to site_url()
>
> That has the obvious downside that the shortcode needs to be processed on
> the production server, on every page load, for every url in a post,
> Congratulations, You've just solved a problem by including the production
> server in the equation.. Whereas, with the previous suggestion, you're
> offloading all extra processing to the development servers - where the
> problem you're attempting to solve actually is.
>
> *tl;dr:* Don't generalise problems, one solution will not fit the bill for
> everyone, I've just gone over 5 different methods for site transfer, 2 of
> which are specific to a staging environment, which will not work for
> general site transfers, but vice versa, a general site transfer process is
> also not aimed at a staging environment, they're 2 very different processes
> which require different solutions.
>
> I'm not trying to restart an opinion war, rather, I'm trying to gather
> information, on why this specific implementation of relative url's is the
> bee's knee's golden bullet which is going to solve every migration problem
> people have, when In my mind, it solves a tiny fraction of the problem, for
> a certain server environment, whilst leaving many others out in the cold..
> I also didn't touch on SSL-ness of the request deliberately, things such as
> the Google Pagespeed apache extension can kick in here, you can use
> mod_substitution, or you can use extra processing power on your production
> servers to replace http://domain with https://domain in your post content
> before your caching layer kicks in (which, does support ssl/non-ssl caching
> buckets right?)
>
> On 30 October 2011 22:04, Mike Little <wordpress at zed1.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 20:48, Rafael Ehlers <rafaehlers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike Little wrote: "(with a character count exactly the same length of
>>> the live domain)"
>>>
>>> Aw c'mon, no offense to Mike, but that's just ridiculous, please,
>>> seriously, just use this script:
>>>

>> http://www.interconnectit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/searchreplacedb2.zip
>>>
>>> It's an easy process:
>>>
>>> 1. Change DB Connection in wp-config.php
>>> 2. Upload all WP files from local to production (and searchreplacedb.php
>>> 4. Run searchreplacedb.php
>>> 5. Log in to WordPress -> Settings -> Save Permalinks (to regenerate)