[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Sat Oct 29 15:23:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 15:51, sam auciello <info at samauciello.com> wrote:

> If I may put in my two cents to the absolute vs relative uri debate.  I am
> a relative newb to the web dev world and most of my work with WP is for
> single sites for small businesses that may or may not want a blog.
> Basically we use WP as a CMS becuase it's light-weight and easy to use.
> For this reason, I've only recently started using version control systems.
> My typical workflow is
>
> 1. Client hires me to upgrade their site to WP
> 2. I create a WP installation at example.com/wp and set up the necessary
> themes/plugins etc.

Here's the bit where you are going wrong! By doing this you are *creating*
the pain. And relative URLs would not stop this.

See my  tips (below) (and in one of these threads) for making it easy to
transfer from development site to live site

> 3. The create content.
> 4.  Once we're satisfied we go live.  The process for this is here:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
>
> I am almost always frustrated by the fact that this is a 16 step process
> but more importantly I often forget step 11, and my client is confused as
> to why all of their images won't show up.  I realize that I'm probably not

doing it right and would love suggestions on this,

As I mentioned elsewhere, get your self a short domain. Create your clients
site on a subdomain of it (with a character count exactly the same length of
the live domain) so that wordPress is in the root of the site. Install
plugins, themes, tweak and deveop, add content.
When ready to go live:
DB dump,
search and replace developdomain with livedomain,
db load on live.
transfer all files from dev to live.
Done.  4 steps.

It usually takes me a few minutes, always less than 30 minutes (depending on
the amount of files and content) and *never* goes wrong.

> but the point is that my
> approach isn't fundamentally stupid for my use case.  I'm guessing lots of
> people have run into this exact issue.  Relative URLs would fix this.

No they wouldn't: /wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/29/my-images.jpg still
needs to be changed to /wp-content/uploads/2011/10/29/my-images.jpg
regardless of whether it start with the domain or not.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/