[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

sam auciello info at samauciello.com
Sat Oct 29 14:51:36 UTC 2011

If I may put in my two cents to the absolute vs relative uri debate.  I am
a relative newb to the web dev world and most of my work with WP is for
single sites for small businesses that may or may not want a blog.
Basically we use WP as a CMS becuase it's light-weight and easy to use.
For this reason, I've only recently started using version control systems.
My typical workflow is

1. Client hires me to upgrade their site to WP
2. I create a WP installation at example.com/wp and set up the necessary
themes/plugins etc.
3. The create content.
4.  Once we're satisfied we go live.  The process for this is here:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

I am almost always frustrated by the fact that this is a 16 step process
but more importantly I often forget step 11, and my client is confused as
to why all of their images won't show up.  I realize that I'm probably not
doing it right and would love suggestions on this, but the point is that my
approach isn't fundamentally stupid for my use case.  I'm guessing lots of
people have run into this exact issue.  Relative URLs would fix this. I
don't know enough about the various security concerns etc. to say more but
I would certainly love to see a constant, something like WP_RELATIVE_PATHS,
that I could set to true at the beginning that would turn on the correct
export filters and change the way things were put into the content in the
first place.

Peace
~Sam