[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Fri Oct 28 22:00:30 UTC 2011

If done properly, which is possible, the experience from a user's perspective is transparent.  There is no difference to regular users what happens in the markup generated by wordpress or the type of urls (specifically when it's a distinction between root-relative and absolute.)  I'm with you that the conversion process will probably generate support issues, but there are solutions to that too.  But those solutions will never be discussed with the current mindset of the wordpress core development community.

.NET & J2EE are not fringe frameworks.  They drove 75% of websites at their prime and root-relative urls are a core concept.  That is far more than the market share Wordpress has ever had.

Absolute url usage is a niche problem in the wordpress community, I completely agree with that too.  But it is an artificial problem created by the community that as a result has prevented the platform from garnishing mass adoption outside of what are typically blogging/content delivery uses.  They are venturing into CMS with recent innovations, and that is a great step.

I don't have a problem with let's see how the plugin does.  I have a problem with the prolific notion that root relative urls are not feasible in the wordpress core, or that they cause massive problems that cannot be overcome technically with simple and elegant solutions.  That you must search & replace your absolute urls because it's the right way.  Preaching lies to people makes the problem systemic and even more difficult to uproot.

Anecdotal remarks of experience does not change cold hard facts that are readily available in books, college curriculum, development communities other than wordpress, and two decades of real world industry-wide usage of software online.