[wp-hackers] Better approach for post formats

24/7 24-7 at gmx.net
Mon Oct 24 13:55:47 UTC 2011

So we now simply got it in core, which means that it's pretty unlikely to
see post formats ever disappear - no matter if they are used or not. After
reading this [1] (was this the initial ticket?), I still don't understand
how and where "post formats" made its way into core (I guess IRC?).

Anyway: What I don't understand is why there's absolutely no recommendation
in the related Codex page. I'd have expected to see some example
implementation that recommends what to put where (example: "don't use custom
fields - extract stuff from content/excerpt" or "use custom fields - name
them exactly like the post format", etc.), to make it easier for a)
developers to have a discussion base and b) for users what to expect.
Haven't we got Theme development guidelines [3] for a reason? Example: Why
are developers forced by a) core and b) the guidelines to use a comments.php
file, but are left without any hint on how to implement post formats? I
absolutely agree with @Andrés Sanhueza "(...) yet is much likely the way
many current blogs with post formats can became broken when switching
themes".

I really hope that those who pushed for post formats and implemented them
will step in and start the discussion. If not, I hope automattic will step
in and tries to bring theme devs on a table to get a "standard"
implementation recommendation on the table.

Thanks.

[1] Trac Ticket <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14746>
[2] WPSE js display switcher<http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/14707/post-formats-how-to-switch-meta-boxes-when-changing-format>
[3] Theme Dev Guidelines <http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development>