[wp-hackers] 2 domains, 2 sites, 1 WP install

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Mon Oct 17 02:20:19 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 4:17 PM, Lee Rickler wrote:
 > I'm looking to not have to go Multisite but, if it's the only,
'proper' way of doing this, then it might just have to be!
What you are describing is actually the acid test for converting two
separate sites over to multi-site.  If you need to have a shared
user-base between multiple sites, then you should be using multi-site. I
quite often tell people to stick with standard WordPress when they tell
me "No, the sites don't share authors/admins."

Yeah, you can do stuff to run multiple sites from the same wp install
without doing the whole multi-site activation, but you're just going to
be doing it wrong and fewer and fewer people will be using hacks/work
arounds like the one that was posted.   I would strongly recommend you
guard your compatibility with future releases by activating MS instead
of doing fancy footwork with the configuration files.

Brian Layman