[wp-hackers] Adding a plugins svn committer

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 08:23:00 UTC 2011

On 5 Oct 2011, at 04:26, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:

> So:
> - SVN isn't as unfriendly as most people make it out to be
> - .org repositories are setup for ease of management
> - The number of people who would request for fine-grained permission set is
> IMO probably quite small
> - If release management is what you're after, that'd probably best done as
> an addition to the .org plugin bundler/etc rather than at the SVN level
> anyway..

+1

> So for now: Publishing to GitHub/other providers is a good solution if you
> want to allow people to have commit access, whilst still retaining control
> over what is released on WordPress.org.

It is a solution, but I'm not quite sure why you don't trust your contributors to discuss with you and defer to you about release management.

The best way to manage open-source project access permission is to give someone the access to do everything and the permission to do a limited set of things.

If you don't trust them you shouldn't be giving them commit access, if you do trust them then you will be happy to give them more access than they need because it makes setting everything up simple.

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
50BF A954 E072 23DB B50A  A319 56C3 8FFF 9C72 AB79