[wp-hackers] Adding a plugins svn committer

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed Oct 5 03:26:31 UTC 2011

Just to come to the defence of SVN here...

SVN when served via HTTP (at least, as that's the only experience I have of
it) can have permissions applied to any specific directory within the tree.
User1 has access to /, User2 can only commit to /trunk/, user3 can do
/trunk/ and /branches/, User4 can only do /trunk/translations/ etc - The
.org plugin repo is a good example really, all plugins are stored within the
same repo, with different permissions for different paths!

However, for ease of administration, the WordPress.org Plugin directory only
does it based on a a plugin slug itself, the number of multi-committor
projects is rather small (from what I know) and generally.. you trust the
person you're adding as a committor to a project.

To go into some more details.. the readme.txt file can specify trunk as the
stable tag anyway.. so a rouge committor to /trunk/ could still release a
release if they wanted to..

So:
 - SVN isn't as unfriendly as most people make it out to be
 - .org repositories are setup for ease of management
 - The number of people who would request for fine-grained permission set is
IMO probably quite small
 - If release management is what you're after, that'd probably best done as
an addition to the .org plugin bundler/etc rather than at the SVN level
anyway..

So for now: Publishing to GitHub/other providers is a good solution if you
want to allow people to have commit access, whilst still retaining control
over what is released on WordPress.org.