[wp-hackers] Concept for a community video plugin

Mark W. Kidd mark at stardart.net
Sun Nov 20 14:06:53 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I am interested in creating a pool of funds (bounty) to build a
community video plugin or add new features to an existing plugin to
achieve the same functionality. Sometime soon, I anticipate circulating
a description of the project to some Wordpress developers to gauge the
cost and complexity for the work.

I would be very grateful for any ideas or feedback on my draft
description, which I'm pasting below. I'm hoping in particular whether
there are key aspects of creating a plugin I've overlooked, or
unanswered questions that come to mind when you see this.

Also, maybe the most important feedback would be: do you as a developer
see any value in this kind of plugin for your own clients or projects?

Best,
Mark

*
What*
This project will put video blogging and video podcasting in easy reach
of community artists and organizations with limited access to technical
expertise or funding. This will take the form of a open-source Wordpress
plugin and companion website to explain its features and provide
examples of the plugin in use.

The community video plugin will enable organizations to build free or
low-cost websites with Wordpress where posting video is as simple and
accessible as uploading and embedding photos has become via WYSIWYG
editors. In order to make sites using the plugin scale with surges in
traffic or without financial resources for media hosting, the plugin
will make use of the YouTube API to store user-submitted videos on YouTube.

*Community Video Wordpress Plugin*

*Key Features*

  * Enable the front-end creation of new posts featuring an embedded
    video by registered or unregistered users.
  * The user is presented with a button (or other interface element) for
    uploading their video directly from the submission form where it
    will be hosted to YouTube. The plugin passes the post's title,
    excerpt, tags, and body from the Wordpress form to YouTube so that
    this content is also present on the YouTube page for the video.
  * Users do not need a YouTube account - the site owner designates a
    YouTube channel on the back-end and all videos are uploaded there.
  * Allow the site owner to specify which license(s) is/are available
    for users to submit their videos
  * Optionally allow a safety/archival copy of the video file to be kept
    on the local web server
  * Must be installable and maintainable by a broad base of users. The
    documentation should be written for a similar technical proficiency
    to consumer electronics. Framing question: Could the
    technical-minded niece or nephew of the family install this plugin?
  * Open-source licensed
  * Distributed alongside a simple WordPress theme and recommended
    configuration which demonstrate the plugin features

*Why*
Web media offers the promise that people and communities who are the
subjects or consumers of media can be involved in its development from
inception through publication; fulfilling that promise requires
collaboration between media organizations, technologists, artists, and
members of these communities to ensure that the web offers equitable
platforms for community speech and creativity.  As a baseline for such
platforms and tools to be equitable, they must be accessible to those
most affected by pressing issues, whether local or international,
regardless of technical expertise or financial resources.

The story-gathering processes long employed in community media are often
an expression of the same cultural values that open source and Creative
Commons (or "copyleft") practitioners are advancing today on the web.
Technologists have created a vocabulary and the intellectual property
framework to support equitable and innovative creation, collaboration,
and movement-building as they are practiced online. This project seeks
to bridge these two ways of knowing about media to produce a democratic
tool for the web.

*How*
_Inspirations_
     Integrated YouTube submission form at
http://www.kitescampaigns.org/submissions/add/ (ExpressionEngine/PHP
source available upon request)
     We Are the 99 Percent photo submission form:
http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/submit/

_Extend an existing plugin?_
     Quick Post Widget:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/quick-post-widget/

--
Mark W. Kidd
Roadside Theater - Thousand Kites - Appalshop

606-536-0115 (cell)
roadside.org
thousandkites.org
appalshop.org