[wp-hackers] How to make root relative urls work in, , subdomain

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Tue Nov 8 22:35:25 UTC 2011

Marty - that's certainly a solution, and a relatively cheap one at that (I'm a dyndns subscriber myself.)  But it still requires adding a pinhole to your wifi/internet gateway's dmz, and that is a luxury that doesn't exist for a fair number of people, and a "don't ever do that" principle for others that have routers that support that feature.

In your case, you still have to open port 80, or 8080 or whatever and point all external traffic on that port directly to your dev machine.  And that's a security breach that can get you fired in many company environments, and your system hacked on your personal network (unless you practice strict security protocols on your dev machine like not doing any of this on windows os, and keeping your root-level accounts isolated on unix, etc.)

-Marcus