[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Cornelius, Gregory gcorne at bu.edu
Wed Mar 16 04:32:21 UTC 2011

What role can trademark play in protecting a business centered around open source? RedHat heavily restricts the use of its trademark, which impacts how a derivative can market and refer to their software. Brand plays a big role in how people view a given product, especially among professionals, and there is strong legal precedence for fighting trademark violations in the courts.

Coupled with support services that are only available to purchasers, I think there is room for a solid business if there is real value in the plugin.