[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

Claude Needham gxxaxx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:20:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> Post Type (i.e. Post vs Page) shouldn't impact performance; the problem
> comes when WordPress can't differentiate blog posts from static Pages, based
> on the permalink.
>
> It sounds like you're basically creating Pages as Posts, and not using
> chronology in any manner; in such case, I really don't think you're going to
> see any difference in performance whether you use Pages or Posts.
>
> Could be wrong, though...
>
> Chip

[Really stupid question alert]
My only excuse for the following question is my relative new
introduction to wp and an over active imagination.
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned something that seemed to
indicate that the date/month or id might function as a trigger to
indicate "yo wp, this is a post not a page. Use a different type of
search." Basically the digit (number) nature of the date or id was
used to specify post-ness.

This got me to wondering if it might be possible to include a static
string of digits in my permalink that will trigger the "post-ness" but
be constant across posts so that people could remember the url.

This would be people usable in a site such as tutorials.com/101/how-to-blah-blah

Would this (admittedly limited gimmick) fix the performance hit caused
by using category?

Claude
p.s. Normally I would dig into the code to see what would happen in
this case. But, I have to admit to myself that I don't have enough
background in wp to trust my conclusions from the raw code.