[wp-hackers] Too many active connections

Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) philip at frumph.net
Sun Jan 16 13:12:55 UTC 2011

Since 3.0 was released users of my theme(s) & other themes have been reporting getting messages where there are too many active connections happening, the message they really get is randomly unable to connect to database messages with wordpress.  Their shared hostings report to them they are exceeding their max amount of active connections...

It's not happening here to me on my server, so unfortunately i'm unable to duplicate this but randomly every couple weeks another person shows up with the same thing happening to them.

My response has always been to have them clean out any plugins that are being too excessive and use the post revision cleanup method, .. but oddly enough several of them were very fresh installs with barely minimal added.

Has anyone encountered this?   Is there a plugin made that can view all the active connections?  Is there a way to 'force' connection close at the end of page load?