[wp-hackers] post format types

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Thu Jan 6 22:34:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> On the topic of Post Formats:
>
> I'm probably past the flash point on this one, but as somebody who has had
> some likely infamous heated debates with Otto and someone who usually pushes
> for more features and extensibility I gotta say I'm 100% with Otto on this
> issue.  I'm sure some of you will either find this either ironic or at least
> humorous. :)

The quote above isn't particularly relevant to my reply, but it was worth
repeating. :-)

I promised I would write up a blog post explaining our rationale, quite a
long time ago, but I never did. I still might, but I haven't seen the need
to yet. Here's pretty much what I just sent to the wp-testers list for a
similar thread:

The limitation is for standardization and portability. It's the whole point
of the feature. It is for users doing tumblelogging and themes designed for
tumblelogging. If you want custom post formats, then you should use your own
taxonomy. Period. Post formats are nothing more than a custom taxonomy with
a custom meta box. Every extra bit is to ensure standardization and
portability.

Even if a theme doesn't support X format, the context is not lost. The post
is still identified as an aside. Generally speaking those using tumblog-like
themes are going to check which formats the theme support, and generally
speaking the authors of tumblelog themes are going to ensure that as many as
possible are supported, as appropriate.

Any questions? (Be sure to read the rest of the thread first!)

Nacin