[wp-hackers] post format types

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Jan 6 20:38:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Brian Layman <wp-hackers at thecodecave.com> wrote:
> And we do know we already have lots of ways to implement these features.
>  It's just that now we are going to have to train people by saying something
> like: "When you want the post to look like a status update, choose "aside"
> under "Post Format". If you want it to look like a conversation,  choose the
> "chat" post format instead. If you want it to look like a birthday
> announcement, totally ignore that box and do something completely different
> because this feature is interoperable".

If you are creating a theme to have specific support for birthday
announcement styled posts, and you want it to be in the same list as
the other "post formats", then you should take another approach
completely. Instead of supporting Core Post Formats at all, you should
create your own entire set of formats that is specific to your theme.

You don't have to both support Post Formats and support your Custom
Post Formats. Nobody said that your own taxonomy of formats can't also
have "aside" in it too.

Do the default set, or do a custom set, but don't do both. That way
lies user confusion.

> My concern only applies if the code has been written so that core changes
> are required to add and remove from that list. If it is
> pluggable/filterable/actionable or whatever, great! Let the official stance
> of THIS IS THE LIST - be the final word.  As long as it's easy to break that
> rule and we don't have to cross train people, I'm quite content. ;)

No, the list is not alterable. Nor pluggable, filterable, or
actionable. The list is the list.

If you want to go outside the list, then go outside it completely. You
cannot add to the list of post formats.

-Otto