[wp-hackers] The problem with Contributions and This Thread

Mark E mark at simplercomputing.net
Mon Jan 3 16:53:51 UTC 2011

On 01/02/2011 09:35 PM, Jane Wells wrote:
> On 1/2/11 10:41 PM, Mark E wrote:
>> If people (including devs) are working crazy hours then that would
>> indicate that more devs are needed...
>>
> It means people really love what they're doing. No one makes us work
> these hours, we do it of our own volition.

Ok. In the non-profit I work with, crazy hours general means send out a
call to get more hands on deck. I do understand loving what one does,
however after some amount of time, people begin to grow weary and need
break. But the 'show must go on' so others come in to do the work.

>>> I'm not sure what exactly about me you find corporate. I'm a non-profit
>>> girl since way back in my teens and the lead devs all call me a hippie,
>>> not inaccurately.
>> Not to distract from the thread, but just to clear that up for people
>> who think a "non-profit" corp is something great and good just because
>> it's non-profit.
> Sorry, I'll be more specific. I spent years working for little or no
> money with environmental groups, food co-ops, health clinics for
> low-income women, human right organizations. I know it's easy to turn
> these threads into opportunities to pontificate and go on tangents, but
> please remember there's a real person on the other end of every email.
> I'm not evil. I rescue kittens and take in abused kids. Seriously.

My comment to clarify what 'non-profit' means wasn't aimed at anyone. I
didn't mention a person. I was simply clarifying what 'non-profit'
status is - because I've come across more than one person who thinks a
non-profit is something other than what it really is: a tax status.

Mark