[wp-hackers] Plugin usage info

Mark E mark at simplercomputing.net
Mon Feb 28 18:00:58 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 09:57 AM, Alex Hempton-Smith wrote:
> During installation, people have the option to set a certain amount of
> privacy on their site (stopping search engines from crawling it), shouldn't
> we also be asking if usage statistics etc should be sent?

That would be the respectable thing to do.

> I just think it needs to be made clear to people exactly what is being sent,
> why it's being sent, and make it easy for people to opt-out. Requiring them
> to edit wp-config.php to stop data being sent isn't right (in my opinion).

+1

If WordPress were still only used for minor blogging it'd be fine the
way it is. However, those days are long gone. This is obviously not 2007
anymore.

Since WordPress is now extremely widespread and used in a vast array of
different CMS implementations it might be wise for the decision makers
to take on some new perspective about privacy - before the media catches
wind and proceeds to deliver a bashing.

If you think it's not possible then go read the bad press about Facebook
and Microsoft doing precisely the same thing to get a hint about what
could happen.

Mark