[wp-hackers] Making WordPress database independent

Scott Kingsley Clark scott at skcdev.com
Mon Feb 7 18:51:55 UTC 2011

Some discussion has been made on the WordPress Core Trac regarding
supporting other database types, though it appears that the direction
that WordPress core has taken is against supporting other database
types comes at the cost of increasing the amount of effort in either
rewriting functions and / or RegEx-ing your way through the barriers
that the MySQL only support WordPress currently restricts itself to.
Yes, many developers have gone through this and built solutions of
many different types, but it doesn't compare to what real integration
could bring, or additional provisions within Core for these efforts.

Any attempt to abstract WordPress beyond MySQL will only waste core
dev time as they have to then explain why they won't be making any
changes. I apologize for my own time wasting on that end - I believe
some sort of page in the Codex or About section of the WP.org should
compile the full explanation of the reasoning behind the MySQL-only
support WP core has restricted itself to with some sort of evidence in
favor of that restriction, offering up additional resources to plugins
which were developed to support other engines that have been
recommended by core devs or other respectable devs / firms in the WP
community.

There's much to be done, calling WP a full blown CMS right now is
tough, since many people's idea of 'full' can be different. In this
database discussion, a great question rises yet again as it has over
the past many years of WP's life.

Will there be some form of redemption by core as more community
members speak out in favor of additional support? No one can tell, at
least not for the very near future. We'll see how the  WordPress
landscape changes over the next few years. For now, your only hope is
to prove them wrong -- that people want to use these other database
engines -- with solid proof of why it would be a good addition to core
and the impact it could have in making WordPress better for more
people than just MySQL alone. Think of your task as being a prosecutor
in a court case, WordPress is the defendant, and you've got to
persuade the jury (Core Devs and major contributors) to see the future
and what they're doing by limiting growth.

That's my two dollars anyways.. I've been from the bottom to top of
the Core Dev ladder, the answer is the same all around -- They simply
don't have this as a priority or even in sights for the next few years
and for it to happen we will need to orchestrate this as a community
effort to prove to them that it is a priority. I know right now, it
seems like we're protesting about the war in Vietnam (US History), but
we can only make a difference if it's truly what the community wants
and is the 'right' choice to expand the use of WordPress and it's
ability to perform to meet the needs of everyone who it can benefit.

Good luck until then, just say "I think I can", sorry for the video -
I had to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVRV_xGEqc

-Scott