[wp-hackers] when to use custom database tables

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Fri Dec 9 14:03:05 UTC 2011

> To give a real world example, for one of our sites recently, we had to
> move away from multiple CPTs due to the overhead of the inter-CPT
> dependancies. It was a sport site, where we had Matches, Teams and Players
> - which sounds simple, but the amount of mandatory metadata we needed to
> poll / sort / identify people on added quite a large overhead.

You're not playing devil's advocate, you're just reiterating my point :-)

Using custom tables over CPTs makes sense in the scenario you described.
 You're trying to filter/match/sort by multiple meta fields which, on a
high-traffic site, *will* impact performance.  It's one of the **very few**
situations where I would advocate custom tables.