[wp-hackers] MySQL database issue

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Tue Aug 30 14:12:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:47, Ian Douglas <ian at powerfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> In reality, I'm on the graphic design side, not a developer. But I'm on
> this list because I'm trying to learn more about Wordpress, which I've been
> playing with for a couple of years. It is true that I've been getting great
> advice from this list, and it's true that some of it I don't know what to do
> with. But I get pointers for things to try to explore. I'm trying to learn,
> but it's true I find the detail difficult sometimes.

I understand that, but all of your issues sound like OS/Apache/nginx/mysql
issues not WordPress; especially as the site worked on shared hosting in the
same configuration.

Here's a simple thing to check - how many apache threads/processes are
allowed? I have seen a dedicated server with 8 cores and 8 GB of RAM fall
over because Apache had too many threads allowed. *Reducing* the number of
threads stopped the problem.

The reason I ask, is that on shared hosting that number is most likely
restricted for you, so your site could never overwhelm Apache. On your VPS,
you may well be using the default (150 in some installations) which could be
way too much.

> Happily, I'm not the primary tech guy for our project. A friend who deals
> with servers has been helping me on and off. He told me there was corruption
> in the MySQL database and gave me this output. I just passed it along in my
> question in case anyone knew anything. But I'll pass your message back to
> him. I guess he doesn't have too much experience in MySQL.
>
> I'm glad to hear it's not an error.

There might still be an error (especially if Apache threads are dying from
lack of RAM) Just that that text is not an error message.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/