[wp-hackers] APC-Nginx-Apache problems / memory problems on VPS

Tom Barrett tcbarrett at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 07:04:19 UTC 2011

Hi Ian

On 26 August 2011 23:49, Ian Douglas <ian at powerfoundation.org> wrote:

> I'm on a Level 3 HostGator VPS: 1.13Ghz / 768MB RAM / 30GB HD / 500GB
> bandwidth.

I have never used hostgator. How many cores does their virtualisation expose
to you?

> I have a site that usually serves 4000 pages a day.

With all the usual caveats, your available resources should comfortably be
able to handle 4000 WordPress pages in an hour.

> I was being suspended.

A shame that your host won't work with you, but instead against you.

Broadly speaking this is what I hear about *every* host on all, even
vaguely, hosting related email lists and groups when someone asks got host
recommendations. I recommend a VPS with a community (just like WordPress
has!). But I won't voice anything here in case I spawn another distracting
fight!

> So we did the move. Then the trouble really started.
>
> Even with 768MB RAM, I can't keep the site up.

This implies that the site *is* up, if not continually.

> But after configuring both Apache and Nginx, and getting both processes
> restarted, the site doesn't work. Apparently Nginx drops connections to
> clients.

This implies the site is down, completely.

The site is not working even if you connect to http://mysite.com:81

Is this 'just' firewall issues? And hence completely separate? I know it's a
pain, but redacting your domain name *may* make mailing list replies rather
vague. Have you considered paying a sysadmin to log onto your server and fix
it?

What does work? Apache on it's own? Nginx on it's own? Static files?
WordPress, for a bit then the server hangs? Everything, but not when the
caching plugins are activated? How is MySQL faring? Is it delivering a lot
of expensive, uncached queries?

This sort of investigation and configuration is at a level where using
cpanel on a VPS is probably pointless, unless you are a hosting reseller or
want a bunch of other things out-of-the-box.

(Reading over this, I may come across as a little aggressive, I really don't
mean to, not sure how to re-word it. I feel your frustration, but it sounds
like your tinkering on the edge of your current skill set and can't quite
ask the right question yet. Have you got the time and energy to start again?
For $20 you could spin up another VPS and play with that instead of testing
things out on a live domain - I can recommend a VPS with 7 day money back
guarantee and an active irc channel)