[wp-hackers] Wordpress theme version control: Google Summer of Code proposal

Jacob Gillespie me at jacobwg.com
Fri Apr 8 00:34:05 UTC 2011

I agree, and also from a UX perspective I don't think that SCM-specific
ideas should carry over into theme file version control.  For example, a
non-technical user of WordPress is not likely to know what a commit is, what
revision numbers mean, or even what a revision is.  They will be more
interested in a solution that gives them an "undo" function for changes that
they might make to their theme files.

It is true that users who are editing their theme files are more advanced
than ones who know nothing about HTML/CSS, however even if the solution was
not specific to one SCM (git, SVN, etc), IMHO the version control system
should work like the existing post version control system and not require
users to have preknowledge about SCMs or even require them to learn about
them.

Just my thoughts, though.

Jacob