[wp-hackers] Remove useless usermeta

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 02:29:52 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Is there an easy way I can remove useless user meta from the wp_usermeta
table, and stop it from being put there for new signups?

Almost all of our users have no need for data like 'rich_editing',
'comment_shortcuts', 'admin_color', 'aim', 'yim' or 'jabber'.

I've already disabled the 'aim', 'yim' and 'jabber' contact fields, so these
aren't being created now. However, I think WordPress should only create the
other mentioned fields if the user has the capability to edit posts or
moderate comments. It's creating two unnecessary usermeta entries for each
user.

In the meantime, is there a filter I can use to stop this usermeta from
being created at user creation? And then perhaps only be set if the user
explicitly sets that option in the admin panel?

Cheers,
-- Alex