[wp-hackers] Proposal: StackOverflow for WordPress

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Thu May 13 18:45:38 UTC 2010

On 5/13/10, Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:
> Jane is right, there's no reason to move all the data to somebody's else
> yard, at least without trying to fix something by ourselves.

I would cede your point if it were simply data we were talking about.
What SO, et al., offer is /curation/ of that data.

At this point, I  think the distinction is roughly this: The DotOrg
forums are fields of wildflowers, weeds and prairie grass, with little
semblance of "here's where you go to find an answer to Question X" and
harried "gardeners" (mods) scurrying about frantically stamping out
"contributions" from folks intent on re-growing a patch of daisies
while a perfectly fine bit is growing over the next rise.
StackOverflow is a local topiary.

Both may very well contain the same "plants", it's just an order of
magnitude easier to find the bushes shaped like a Shared Host
Recommendation in the topiary.

--
-Doug
@zamoose