[wp-hackers] StackOverflow for WordPress

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Tue May 11 02:44:02 UTC 2010

I don't know why I'm replying, but I think I have a really good quote:

"...Because NIH (Not Invented Here) has no business in an open source
community where the foundation of such a product would have to be open
and supported by people who might be fragmented away from other tasks."

Leveraging great products where the community may easily join and
participate verses spending years or more, for example the time between
the closure of the WordPress theme gallery to it opening again and the
sort of mess that caused. I do agree that the newer theme gallery is
fantastic, but it probably would have been better if it was more, I
don't know, open? Maybe. Not sure.

Of course, you work for a company that supports and maintains the
platform, so I guess it is a gray area. On one hand the company would
have to hire someone to spend a great deal of time on a product that has
no real benefit towards the company [1]. I do think it is great that
Automattic is supporting BuddyPress and bbPress, among other projects
that benefit the community. In that, I find that Automattic stands bar
none above other companies that profit from WordPress and yet do not
"give back." I'm, of course, speaking of no company in particular and
I'll deny any allegations to the contrary.

I mean, if anything, I think another really good example as to why the
service shouldn't be produced "in-house" is to look no further than
bbPress itself. Here you have a forum project that could have stood up
with the rest, but somehow falls flat up against the others. I don't
think Automattic or anyone else could have done anything differently to
make it more than what it was. WordPress filled a niche and has since
grown to be something a lot of people enjoy working with. Quite frankly,
I'm not sure WTF bbPress is, but it sure isn't a forum and sure isn't
one I would even touch with 8 foot pole. I think it is great that it has
its own community, however small and loyal it is, but how about making
WordPress stand up on its own as a platform for not just CMS and
blogging, but for anything and everything.

I think the best things Automattic has done are things that the
community probably wouldn't have even given the tools to do so. That
said, I don't believe wordpress.org is open to the public. I haven't
really been around, but may I see the source? May I contribute to the
wordpress.org web site? I know it is bbPress, but I think it would be
fine if I'd know that my contribution would be going towards something
worth my time. I'm probably never going to use bbPress in any other
avenue, but it it was simple and easy to "improve" the WordPress site
and support services, I might step up and take notice.

I should probably end by saying that I don't really care about this
topic, only that your questions sparked the quote. I think there is a
disconnect with the community at times, which is damn ironic since Jane,
you are most likely the closest and beloved by the community. Not to
mention brought in to connect closer to the community. To that end, I
think I've probably misunderstood.

Good day.

Jacob Santos

[1] I do wish to thank Automattic for the WordPress Tests repository,
but I do think it stands also as another open" platform that I have
found to be extremely difficult to contribute to and receive feedback
on, so much so that I gave up on it. As well as the DocBook XML project,
which I wish I had more time, energy, motivation, and was simple enough
that I could do an "article" here and there.