[wp-hackers] GSoC 2010, WordPress.org Profiles

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Thu Mar 25 12:08:31 UTC 2010

În data de Jo, 25-03-2010 la 09:28 +0000, mrmist a scris:
> In message <e1202cb11003241119jc9e3cf8y47e26c8438dcd836 at mail.gmail.com>,
> Jeremy Clarke <jer at simianuprising.com> writes
> >
> >I'm not sure how hot I am for a karma system, it seems kind of
> >awkward. If nothing else it should definitely be designed with the
> >goal of making awesome contributors shine a little extra without
> >making anyone look bad or inactive.
> >

> Aye.  It would seem like a very difficult thing to achieve, would that.
> At least, to achieve fairly.  I moderate both the Codex and the forums,
> and it would pain me greatly to see someone getting karma points for
> spamming the forum / codex with useless bilge that is fit for the trash
> can, whilst quality responses that take a lot of time to craft "only"
> make 1 karma point.
>
> Perhaps there could be some rating system applied to forum responses, or
> note could be taken over when an answer "resolves" a problem.
>
> Then of course you have the question of how you assign karma for things
> such as time spent editing codex pages, or even moderating the forums
> (not that I'd particularly want such notoriety, but some folk might.)

Well, I wouldn't go that deep. As I said, If I go creating some kind of
api, than we can have even some ajax requests against it (something like
thumbs up / down right bellow profile username). Also adding the karma
point value as ametadata to activity and then having that recalculated
from time to time can be a solution.

Anyway, to be fair I can create a polldaddy to see what exactly
community wants.

Thanks for thoughts on forum integration.

--
()  Campania Panglicii în ASCII
/\  http://stas.nerd.ro/ascii/