[wp-hackers] Alternate paging URLs

Dan Phiffer dan at phiffer.org
Wed Mar 3 16:54:51 UTC 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Dave Viner wrote:

> After all, when a user is going from page to page, they usually want to see the
> latest information, not necessarily the identical information to what was
> shown before.

This is one assumption my alternative is trying to draw attention to. It is true that *usually* pagination is used this way, but what happens if I bookmark one of these views for later, or if I create a short URL to page 40? I'm trying to link to the particular content on those pages, not the position from the newest content. The particular content on these pages will change over time and my links will rot.

Here's a concrete example from my Tumblr blog, when I was trying to find something recently:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ablog.phiffer.org+ira+glass

How prone are those search results to link rot? Depends, I guess, on how frequently Google re-indexes everything within that page sequence. It's better, I think, to avoid this altogether with better URL structures.

-Dan