[wp-hackers] Alternate paging URLs

Dave Viner dave at vinertech.com
Wed Mar 3 16:40:41 UTC 2010

Hi Dan,

I actually had to implement a different paging URL scheme for a client and
it was surprisingly difficult.  I may not have done it properly, but it
worked.  (My client wanted url/1/, url/2/, etc.)

The fencepost issue (which page does result 10 appear on) and the dynamic
update issue (post 22 appears while on page 3) are classic search results
problems.  Fence post is solvable with intelligent SQL, but the dynamic
update while a user is paging tends to be not very useful to solve.  After
all, when a user is going from page to page, they usually want to see the
latest information, not necessarily the identical information to what was
shown before.

Dave Viner