[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Mark Jaquith markjaquith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 05:35:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> How about we
> start an LTS tag or similar in trac now and see how it works?

LTS generally defines "Long" in *years.* Ubuntu, for example. What is
on the table is something substantially shorter than most definitions
of "long," so we'd do well to avoid referring to it as "LTS" release.
I'd be happy to backport security patches one version (so, if 3.0
branch is current stable, backport to 2.9 branch), if there are no
objections from the other leads. If we are not offering these releases
via the one-click upgrader, there's not much that needs to be done.
Commit to the branch. Tag a new version. Push it out. It'll be
available via SVN and via the release archive only. We can soft launch
it (that is, not announce it), and see how it goes. If it is working
out, and isn't too much of a burden, then we can consider formally
committing to it. As noted, we've been doing some backporting already.
The only thing we're really missing is doing a version bump and a
package.

--
Mark Jaquith
• http://markjaquith.com/http://coveredwebservices.com/