[wp-hackers] Option Pages

Spencer spencer.gurnk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:47:28 UTC 2010

Hey everyone,

I've created a reusable options page that I can use for multiple
WordPress themes. It uses add_meta_box and all the options are loaded
into meta boxes, so they can be collapsed, rearranged, hidden (via
Screen Options), just like normal elements on the Post page for
example. However, I'm starting to wonder if this is the best way to do
it. I like how they can be customized, but after reading about
register_setting, I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Would I be
correct in assuming this? Frankly I think the meta boxes look much
better, and add more functionality, but it requires a lot of extra
(bulky) code to setup. I'd normally be all for keeping inline with the
WordPress standards and making the option pages just like how they are
throughout the admin side, but right now I'm not completely convinced
a standard options page (via register_setting) provides enough
customization (that is found in most other pages.)

Which direction is best?

Thanks,
Spencer