[wp-hackers] Status of sitewide categories/terms in WP3

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Tue Jun 1 15:58:03 UTC 2010

We refer to sitewide categories as "global terms." Here's a Trac search
using that terminology, http://core.trac.wordpress.org/search?q=global+terms,
which should reveal many tickets and changesets.

Without getting into the full details for why the sky will fall on your head
-- in a nutshell, they are very messy and probably should never have been
anything more than a plugin -- we are maintaining the ability to use global
terms. If you are performing an upgrade from MU, then global terms will be
on by default; in 3.0, they are off. They can be turned on again via a
filter (or DB option) along with the creation of the sitecategories table
(for which a function does exist). The filter, option and functions are
documented in the ticket you reference, #12666.

Likewise, they can be turned off with the same filter or by deleting or
modifying a row in the sitemeta table.