[wp-hackers] Best format for regularly updated data

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Wed Jul 28 18:49:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> With custom post types for Courses over Pages you get ability to:
>
> 1. Query for Courses only using WP_Query("post_type=course").
> 2. Have a Course-specific template in your theme, i.e. single-course.php.
> 3. Have a Course-specific admin edit page with Course-specific metaboxes.
> 4. Have Course-specific taxonomy terms that only apply to Courses.
> 5. Get a Course-specific URLs, i.e.
> http://example.com/courses/{course-name}/<http://example.com/courses/%7Bcourse-name%7D/>
>
> They are probably more reasons but these are 5 that come to mind (anyone
> else know of others?) Worthwhile for your use-cases?

6. It would leave the actual pages alone, so any non-course pages on the
site do not have to work around whatever hacks/mods you make in the theme to
accomodate the course pages.

Really it's part of 1-5 but I think its worth mentioning as a consideration.

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org