[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Mirrored Posts Best Practice?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Jul 27 02:44:40 UTC 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:30 PM, Michael Pretty wrote:
> We have a couple more projects lined up where we need a many to many relationship between objects and have decided that for us the best option is to bite the bullet and create a new table.  Its something we usually leave as a last resort, but at this point, that seems like the best option because of the issues you mentioned.  I haven't yet worked out all the details of how it is going to work other than a table that stores parent_id, child_id and relationship_type, with lots of caching.  At this point it just seems like it is going to be the only way to provide the many to many relationship that is both stable and provides decent performance.

Really? Thanks for commenting, but that's disheartening to hear. Especially because I doubt a new table will be able to make its way into WP 3.x in the near future although an API layer for existing data structures seems more likely.

If you had to pick between the two problems you mentioned, which would you say is the more difficult to resolve using taxonomies mirroring posts; stability or performance?

-Mike