[wp-hackers] Rename wp-admin problems

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Jul 26 07:50:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM, WP Customizer <wpcustomizer at gmail.com>wrote:

> So I decided I want to rename core files and folders to remove the wp-.  I
> wrote a simple little program using vb .net that will recursivly edit every
> file in a given directory and do a find a replace operation to change name
> refrences.  For example it finds refrences to wp-login.php and changes it
> login.php.

FYI, renaming wp-admin is not supported. Core doesn't support it. Most
plugins don't support it. And doing a find and replace will only hinder you
or your client when you decide to upgrade in the future.

If this is partly a security consideration, it would be much better to lock
down your wp-admin directory by IP, HTTP authentication, or the like.