[wp-hackers] Is there any compelling reason to use a custom post type plugin?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Jul 24 04:30:15 UTC 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 10:13 PM, Angelia Baladon wrote:
> Does anyone have any compelling argument for why it would be better to
> use a plugin for managing post types and taxonomies, if you are
> capable of doing all of the registrations yourself in your functions
> file?

I've evolved my thinking over the past few month after using custom post types heavily for several projects.  Here goes:

=========
Pros of Using Admin-console Plugins for Managing Custom Post Types
=========
-- Great for End Users who want to do some basic things and that will never be able to willing to write code.
-- Great for rapid prototyping, especially face-to-face with a client.
-- Great for themers and developers new to custom post types to get familiar with the options and what effect each option has.

=========
Pros of Registering Custom Post Types in Code
=========
-- Much easier to deploy .PHP files via FTP than to merge configuration stored in a MySQL database
-- Much easier to apply the best practice of source code control with Subversion or Git
-- Easier for those who are more advanced (text copy/paste then editing is easier than editing in the admin or trying to export/import MySQL data.)
-- Possible to associate related functionality within a single deployable unit (i.e. plugin, or theme.)
-- Results in more robust applications (end user admins can't break your app by changing critical functionality.)

In summary, admins console plugins are for learning and prototyping and for advanced users whereas registering via code are for those who are building plugins, themes and robust web sites. IMO at least.

Hope this helps.

-Mike