[wp-hackers] Missed schedule - WP Bug

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Jul 20 10:58:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:58:12 +1000, Gavin Pearce
<Gavin.Pearce at 3seven9.com> wrote:

> Cheers Andrew - always last to join the party.  ;)
>
> I did think about server config - but got thrown off that scent as other
> blogs on the same server, with the same setup, work without issue.
>
> Any idea what the obvious server issues were? We've got a pretty solid
> Red Hat install, but obviously will take a look.

The main items would be
  * The Domain not resolving to / not being accessable via loopback, ie.
The IP of mysite.com is a load-balancer in front of the server which
doesnt accept requests from a local subnet
  * The Server has no DNS resolving abilities
  * The Server doesnt allow ANY outgoing (even loopback) connections
  * WordPress choosing a HTTP Transport which is incompatible with the
local server for whatever reason ( Sometimes outgoing connections are
fine, but loopback connections suffer from various bugs
  * .htaccess not making an exception for wp-cron.php calls (Ie. routing
all .php files to another location.. or similar .htaccess rules)
  * .htaccess related security-blocking rules, might be blocking the
WordPress self-request based on 'not really a browser client' look to it..

The list goes on, Best to check in the order:
  * Can the server make outgoing requests ( Core Control, my plugin, has a
HTTP Access page, make sure the selected transport passes the Test
function there )
  * Can the server make local requests  ( Really should add a "Local
connection test" function to the above plugin... )
  * Is the Cron request showing in the HTTP Logs? Are there any error codes
present? If so, are there any mention of it in a mod_security or related
log files
  * If the Cron request is succeeding, Does it occur with all plugins
disabled (Make a new install on the same server, see if it can future
publish posts - Its a possibility that a plugin may be affecting the
publishing ability and not being aware of it)

I cant think of much more I'd try right now, But there's a start

Cheers
Dion Hulse / dd32

Contact:
  e: contact at dd32.id.au