[wp-hackers] Moving from Movabletype to Wordpress cuts entries and and titels

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Sun Jul 18 18:34:21 UTC 2010

On 18/07/2010 1:25 AM, Carina wrote:
> I am totally new to Wordpress and I am trying to import blogs from MT to
> WP. It does not work. I am using the export feature from MT and import
> feature in WP but only parts of everything gets imported. Is there a way
> I can do this using the database or is there something that is just
> missing.

If the MT export file is very large you can split it into several files
and import them one by one, just be careful to split on post boundaries
using a text editing program that can handle large files (not Word or
Notepad).

Another problem you might encounter is some invalid UTF-8 chars in the
export file especially if the MT blog has been around for many years and
was running on earlier versions of MT. Unfortunately there's no a
straightforward fix for this. You can try splitting the export file at
the post where these chars stop and then using iconv or similar to fix them.

> I need to preserve permalinks some way or another and I guess many of
> you have a great solution to this.

WordPress has pretty flexible permalink settings that would let you add
".html" to the end, etc. There are many good tutorials on that.