[wp-hackers] Geodata storage

Dylan Kuhn dylan.k.kuhn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 01:54:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Michael D Adams <mda at blogwaffe.com> wrote:

> If you use external tables or indices of any type, I highly recommend
> synchronizing them to the standard postmeta keys discussed in this
> thread and outlined here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Geodata
>
> Not only do you increase interoperability with other plugins and apps,
> you also ensure data portability: postmeta ends up in the WP Export
> file, so import/export is taken care of for free.

Thanks, I definitely see the need to adopt a standard, either natively or
via synchronization.

One issue that the Codex page should mention I think is that only ONE
location can be associated with a post this way, since multiple instances of
geo_latitude and geo_longitude values couldn't be matched up. Apps will have
to be responsible for this data integrity since WordPress allows it.

-dylan-