[wp-hackers] Custom Post Types and pending incompatibilities

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Jul 12 13:11:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Michael Pretty <mpretty at voceconnect.com>wrote:

> If anything, I'd prefer if posts and pages were no longer built in. ... Then
> posts and pages could be a core plugin automatically included in upgrades
> and installs.

They'll always be built in, but I'd like to see them become like any other
post type (which includes the ability for another plugin to unregister them
without the sky falling), and I imagine we'll be heading further in that
direction in future releases. Same goes for tags and categories.

Just to clarify the last part, without turning this into a discussion on
that. The core plugin experiment is still evolving, but one thing that has
never been considered is that any of them will be bundled.