[wp-hackers] Custom Post Types and pending incompatibilities

Michael Pretty mpretty at voceconnect.com
Mon Jul 12 12:39:19 UTC 2010

> Not sure I actually agree with this being on there - it could confuse
> people. Perhaps shorten it to simply mention avoid the use of wp_ for
> future compatibility?
>

> Of course having read the page, I then see that the slug may also
> cause incompatibilities as well. Though how much of an issue this
> would be I don't know.
Sorry if some of this has already been said.  I've been out for a few
days and am playing catch-up.  I first want to say that I somewhat
disagree with the idea of namespacing post types.  Ideally, content
shouldn't be tied to the plugin that manages it.  If my site uses events
that are either created by a plugin or a theme and I want to switch to a
new plugin that manages that content, I should be able to without having
to recreate all of those events.  There was a wp-hackers thread a little
bit ago about standardizing geo-data so it could be shared amongst
plugins.  I think the fields that shape into something like an event or
product should also be somewhat standardized.

As for future compatibility with core post types, I really hope that
core doesn't ever add any more post types.  If anything, I'd prefer if
posts and pages were no longer built in.  With custom post types and
taxonomies, we have really opened up the types of web-apps for which
WordPress can be the backbone.  Then posts and pages could be a core
plugin automatically included in upgrades and installs.

Michael Pretty
prettyboymp