[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Jul 8 04:03:03 UTC 2010

I wasn't going to reply to this thread again, but there are two small points that warrant a brief response:

On Jul 7, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> On 7/7/2010 9:11 AM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>> I laughed when Matt said we were approaching Godwin's Law. :-)  Some of the rhetoric is getting a bit overwrought, but for the most part I think it's remained pretty civil.
>
> We are -- someone is comparing the capitalization of the letter P with removing the sacred freedoms every WordPress user is given by the GPL.

Just to be clear, Matt... I was AGREEING with you on this.  Sorry if I wasn't more clear.  I laughed because of the (IMO) extremity of some of the language used by others, not because I thought you were overwrought.

On Jul 7, 2010, at 10:27 AM, John Bloch wrote:

> Changing Wordpress to WordPress is not something to get up in arms about. I know people that replace lists of offensive words with four asterisks. Can they now not use WordPress because they're violating the written contents of those writers? That seems like a bigger violation of 'written content' than this, doesn't it?

What people do on their own sites is their own business.  However, if someone wrote such a filter into WordPress Core to silently censor such language, because a Core contributor decided he doesn't like naughty language... YES, that would be a significant issue,

I'm pretty sure there exist plugins that do just as you describe.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go write some code.  Peace.

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/